Well, our family won't be getting out of the house anytime soon.
Here is the snow that closed school. Yes we thought this was a lot of snow!
Then on Saturday it started snow and snow I made a mad dash to Walmart to stock up on food we were down to nothing and at this point I started to believe the media that this might be our last chance to shop before Christmas. After waiting in line for 30 minutes, I was now ready for Christmas.
This is the Snow Saturday night. It was windy too. You have to remember it only snows a trace here maybe three times a year and everything shuts down at just the thought of snow. So this is a really big deal.
So Sunday morning we woke to the results of frozen rain storm. Wow they are not kidding about
Our car was sealed in ice but of course Todd had to start it up and try to thaw it. We were bored. It took about an hour.
It is so pretty to see everything frozen when the wind blows you can hear the branches popping as they try to move, they say be prepared for power outages because the branches can just snap and take down the power lines.
Within the last hour we have had freezing rain and now it's snowing a ton. The last weather report said more of both is headed our, and that our first chance of thawing is wed.
The "Arctic Blast" has finally come... a week later than the news predicted!
On Monday everyone hoped for no school, but no matter how many times we insisted on checking the "Closure" list on the KATU News website, our district was the only one without an "emergency closure". Most of our hallways are outside, the wind was freezing, and there was ice everywhere. I almost fell. It was WAY too cold for school!! It was terrible.
[You know I've turned into a true Washingtonian when I say that :)
We're not use to this weather up here.]
On Tuesday we got ready for school with zero enthusiasm. It was just TOO COLD for school. Just as I [Sam] was in the "final countdown" before I had to RUN out the door, my mom got a text from the school. It read:
"Mountain View High School will be closed today, due to fire."
FIRE??
Some say it was caused by the collective energy of the students' disappointment from attending school the previous day that caused the fire. In actuality, it was just a heater that overheated near our auditorium that burned a 20 x 20 ft hole in our ceiling. It caused nearly $300,000 in damage.
On Wednesday at 4:45 am my mom came in my room with a text message from the school.
She told me we were having a three-hour Late Start. I reset my alarm and went back to bed.
A little later my mom came back into my room to tell me she read the message wrong. There was a three-hour Early Release, not a late start. Oops.
I hurried out of bed to get ready for school so I wouldn't be late.
Once again in the "Final Countdown" before I had to run out the door, my mom got another text message. It said:
"due to extreme weather conditions, there will be an emergency closure of the Evergreen School District today."
Once again wide awake and dressed for school, I had mixed feelings about the second cancellation. While I wanted it to be cancelled, I really wished they would tell me BEFORE I got dressed and ready to go! But I enjoyed another day with my friends, baking Christmas treats and having fun.
On Thursday I didn't expect to have school. I didn't think the weather would be that bad, but I thought school would be cancelled anyway. The media usually scares the district into cancelling school.
Sadly, the district wasn't scared by the news. They were probably embarrassed for cancelling school on Wednesday (there was hardly any snow or ice that day).
In first period it began to snow. And snow. And snow. Our teachers kept telling us that we turned into elementary school students as soon as the snow fell.
The PA system announced
"Please act like High School Students, not Middle Schoolers."
"NO throwing snowballs or you will be suspended..."
"Please be careful in the halls. It is VERY slippery..."
We waited for the announcement that would say: "There will be a three-hour early release today, due to extreme weather conditions".
It never came.
It never came.
We waited and waited and waited. Nobody could concentrate.
It was the day with the most snow, and they wouldn't cancel school. It was crazy. A lot of people left at 10:30 because they thought school would be out at 11:00. They wanted to miss the parking lot rush. They left for no reason.. we went through the whole snowy day of school.
Friday was the last day before Christmas break, and nobody knew what to expect. There were a lot of tests scheduled for Friday, and all the teachers said we WOULD, without doubt, have school. The students said there was NO way we would have school. It was a battle with the weather.
At about 3:00 am, my mom received the text message.
"Due to extreme weather conditions, school will be cancelled today"
Hooray! I got together with my friends again and we went sledding on the thin sheet of snow.
Ok it's Tawnya writing now, Sam took a break. You can tell when it's me writing everything is short and to the point Sam is the storyteller in our family she gets that from her Dad!
We pretty much went sledding on leaves, but hey you take what you can get!
everything being sealed in ice. The snow has a layer of ice on it, when you walk on it, you break through it with a loud crack. No sledding for Cody, he tried the sled drops under the ice to the snow so you slide down while the ice breaks on your stomach. Don't even think of going on you tummy!
I know don't laugh to hard at us, this is nothing to you guys in Utah, but here they don't use salt at all so the roads are never clear just solid ice!
So we will just sit here and enjoy each other, we are thinking of cooking out Christmas turkey tomorrow and eat the leftovers the rest of the week. We will just call this a week of Christmas.
I guess in a way I wished for this, I said just the other day to Todd that I just want a week of nothing, so I can just stay home and catch up on everything. Well here it is I guess I should start getting something done. 
No comments:
Post a Comment